CROSTHWAITE TERRACE, DUN LAOGHAIRE
Sometime in 1854 Newman and his Oratorian colleague, Fr. Ambrose St. John, spent a few weeks at No. 2 Crosthwaite Terrace, which was the residence of Henry Wilberforce, while searching for a suitable holiday location in Ireland for himself and members of the Birmingham Oratory community. This area became known as Kingstown, following the visit of King George IV in 1821. It has now reverted to its original name, Dun Laoghaire. It was accessible from Dublin, five and a half miles away, by means of Ireland’s first commuter railway which was established in 1834.